I became passionate about photography several years ago when I began taking pictures of my son, Aidan, who has a rare genetic condition that leaves him with intellectual and physical challenges. Because of this, he is almost completely non-verbal. I photographed the things he was doing and what he enjoyed so he could share this information with peers and teachers at school. It gave him a voice; sharing his interests and helping others realize all that he was capable of doing. The power of these photographs made clear to me their value as a tool for communication, advocacy, and empowerment. My love for the technical, artistic, and humanitarian aspects of photography soon developed and has been a true passion ever since.
Whether I am photographing my son to help aid in his communication, teaching others photography as a means of expression, or developing my own professional or personal projects, it is increasingly evident to me that the art and craft of photography is incredibly impactful in the variety of ways that it can serve as a vehicle to “do good” for individuals and the community. Ultimately, I strive to use my work to make a tangible contribution in this way.
I often have my camera when I am doing the things I enjoy... being a mom, running, advocating for people with disabilities, and teaching photography as a tool for expression to underrepresented groups.
Click here for a recent Tennessee Register article on how my photography passion began. See below for CV.
- Professional Photography Certificate, Nashville State
- Teacher Certification, Secondary Education (grades 7-12), Michigan State University
- B.S., Biology major, Chemistry minor, Michigan State University
- Teaching Artist, Borderless Arts TN, Artist in Residence, 2017- present
- Teaching Artist, develops and leads “Able Voices” photo voice projects with Williamson County Schools Transition II program, 2018- present
- Tutor, 2005-present
- Photography Instructor, Community Program, Abe’s Garden at Park Manor, 2017-2018
- Freelance Photographer, 2014-present
- High School Science Teacher, 1996-2004
Exhibitions and Awards
- Aspire, Solo show, Springfield, TN, January-March
- Williamson County Public Library, "Saturday Morning Run," Franklin, TN, October-November
- Brentwood Library, "Saturday Morning Run," Solo show, Brentwood, TN, January
- Society of Nashville’s Artistic Photographers, Annual Exhibit, Nashville Gordon JCC. Juried by Tamara Reynolds.
- Society of Nashville's Artistic Photographers, "Motion," Lexus of Nashville, August-December 2018, Juried by Wendy Whittemore and Stacey Irvin.
- Society of Nashville's Artistic Photographers, "A Sense of Place," Hotel Preston, July 2018, Juried by Larry McCormick and Lacy Atkins.
- Chromatics Gallery, "Minimalism," June-August, Nashville, TN, exhibition
- South x Southeast Photogallery, "Flora & Fauna," August, Molina, GA. Juried by Kat Kierman.
- PhotoVoice Member Exhibit, Photofusion Gallery, London, England, January-February, exhibition
- Brentwood Photography Group, Franklin City Hall, Franklin, TN. April-May. Juried by Jerry Park. exhibition
- American Advertising Federation Nashville, Student ADDY award.
- “Doggone Good!” Solo Traveling Show. Vanderbilt Kennedy Center, Scarritt Bennett Center, Nashville Public Library- Green Hills,
Tennessee Performing Arts Center (TPAC)
- Society of Nashville’s Artistic Photographers, “Landmarks,” Nashville Public Library- Green Hills, March 2018, Nashville, TN,
Juried by Emily Naff. exhibition
- “Rising Strong Together!” Disability Mega Conference Art Exhibit, May 2018. Nashville, TN
- Williamson County Fair, Cultural Arts Competition, Photography Awards: two 1st place, a 2nd place, and a 3rd place in the open/professional.
Juried by Jerry Atnip.
- Society of Nashville’s Artistic Photographers Annual Exhibit, Nashville Gordon JCC. Juried by Jerry Park, exhibition
- Chromatics Gallery, “Captured Emotions,” Nashville, TN, exhibition
- Society of Nashville’s Artistic Photographers, “Work,” Provence, Nashville, TN. Juried by Michael Ray Nott, exhibition
- Tennessee State Fair, Creative Arts Competition, “Photography Merit Award” and “Best in Show- Black & White”awards. Other awards: three 1st
place and a 2ndplace in the open/professional category, Nashville, TN. Juried by Jerry Atnip.
- “Doggone Good!” Solo Traveling Exhibit. Williamson County Public Library, Franklin City Hall, Brentwood Library,
Williamson County Community Services
- Photographer’s Forum, 37th Annual Spring Photography Competition, Finalist
- Court of Honor, Scott Kelby Lynnville Photo Walk 2017, Williamson County Public Library, Columbia Market Square, and Lynnville City Hall. Juried
by Jerry Atnip.
- Society of Nashville’s Artistic Photographers, “Perspective,” Gordon JCC, Nashville, TN. Juried by Vesna Pavlovic, exhibition
- The Tennessee Magazine, "An Eye for Hidden Treasure," November 2018, article
- InFocus, "Grant to Benefit WCS Transition II Students," Williamson County Schools, October 2018, article
- The Arc TN Connection, "From Around the State," Fall 2018, article
- Nashville Arts Magazine, "June Art Crawl Guide: Franklin Art Scene," June 2018, article
- Franklin Homepage, "'Photovoice' Empowers Special Ed Students Toward Self Expression," May 1, 2018, article
- InFocus, "Centennial High Transition II Students Create Photography Exhibit", Williamson County Schools, April 2018, article
- The Arc TN Connection, “From Around the State,” Spring 2018, article
- InFocus, "Woodland Middle Students Combine Science and Art," Williamson County Schools, December 2018
- Williamson Herald,“Service Dog Photograph Sales Benefit Local Non-profit,” October 2017, article
- Tennessee Register, “Mom of Child who does not Speak Finds His Voice in a Camera,” September 2017, article
- Brentwood Homepage, “Local Photographer Captures Essence of Service Dogs in County Library Exhibit,” July 2017, article
- Breaking Ground, Annual Arts Issue, TN Council on Developmental Disabilities, “A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words:
Using Photography to Help My Son Communicate,” January-March 2018, article
- Photographer’s Forum, Serbin Communications, Best of Photography 2017, book
- Breaking Ground, TN Council on Developmental Disabilities, “WCS Link: Connecting Special Education Families, Educators, and the Community in
Williamson County,” April 2012, article
Presentations / Lectures
- "Able Voices: Photography Projects for Self-Expression, Empowerment, and Advocacy," Partners in Education (PIE) conference,
TN Department of Education, January 2019, Nashville, TN
- "Photography Talks," The Arts Council of Williamson County, January 2019, Franklin, TN
- "Saturday Morning Run: A Year in Photographs," Brentwood Photography Group, October 2018, Brentwood, TN
- "A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words: Amplifying the Voice of People with Disabilities," TASH National Conference, November 2018, Portland, OR
- "A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words: Amplifying the Voice of People with Disabilities," The Arc National Convention, November 2018
- “A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words: Amplifying the Voice of People with Disabilities,” Tennessee Disability Mega Conference,
May 2018, Nashville, TN
- “A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words: Amplifying the Voice of People with Disabilities,” Partners in Policymaking 23rd Annual Reunion conference,
TN Council on Developmental Disabilities, March 2018, Nashville, TN
- “A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words: Amplifying the Voice of People with Disabilities,” The Future of Disability: a Big Ideas Event,
The Arc Tennessee, February 2018, Nashville, TN
- “A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words: Amplifying the Voice of Students with Disabilities,” Partners in Education (PIE) conference,
TN Department of Education, Feb. 2018, Nashville, TN
- “Promoting Collaborations Between Families and School Systems,” Partners in Policymaking 18th Annual Reunion conference, with Carol
Hendlmyer, Director of Support Services for Williamson County Schools, TN Council on Developmental Disabilities, March 2012, Nashville,
- tnAchieves, TN Promise Student Mentor, Class of 2019
- Leadership Brentwood program, Williamson County Chamber Foundation, Class of 2019
- PhotoVoice training, PhotoVoice, London, England, April 2018
- The Arc Williamson County, Board Member and Past President, 2015- present
- WCS Link, Special Education Advisory Committee, Williamson County Schools, founding member, 2008-present
- Partners in Policymaking Leadership Institute, TN Council on Developmental Disabilities, Class of 2007
- Society of Nashville’s Artistic Photographers, member, 2017- present
- Brentwood Photography Group, member, 2017- present
- Professional Photographers of America, member, 2015- present
- Arts Council Williamson County, member, 2017- present
- PhotoVoice, member, 2017-present